Re: VLF: DK7FC > W1VD / K3SIW 8.27 kHz EbNaut - We don't give up!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: DK7FC > W1VD / K3SIW 8.27 kHz EbNaut - We don't give up!
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:04:19 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1521065062; bh=VhZlTke021j14w4UX+G1kAAwiDZkHylGtGT7Tqakz4U=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=H45i0E/1DvH7rT9QvXGkW48NWX8fDPEdyEHf/SwZGe6sYR5NMJweGOgRe8Y/oaaah Au8ew921aqCdBNopnv7XQ/3FnYFtjjDXiQD+PRcSvWDRBHn9Scnwhu2xu8qz8A8BZe 4JwAYe/zJC5PuUc3+m+tGsoII7ttMY4NaxgZ/aeGflJZr9kd9FYNAdJgV3aX3MBEkd TrLgb+aEUcB2rXg8wUlnubZVO9nfkOl87xjSGaJp7jQjlaZkIafQ3YL+jPAWcrDbRl Pp1Srmp9Y6GhVTthXrApU4Vo5fL+JrD/JcTy+ZgHA9GiQz08mJ2X94NUhL3Zz/QSan wI+nGfB+b0qJQ==
Sender: [email protected]
VLF,

Here's the summary of the experiment we started more than 2 weeks ago.

Jay/W1VD and Garry/K3SIW tried to decode my 5 character EbNaut message transmitted on 8270.1 Hz. Thanks to them for their continuous interest in this experiment. We have now an interesting set of data to analyse.
The transmission took 7.25 hours each night starting February, 25th.
Last night there was no contribution to the stack because my TX stopped after a short time, due to a too much detnued antenna (heavy rain). So all in all there are 14 files to weight and stack, in the hope to get a decode from the stacked file.

Jay and Garry sent me txt files daily. They contain the exported FFT from SpecLab and can be converted into wav files using Markus' tools. They have been weighted by the square of the noise amplitudes and have been stacked afterwards. Since i am the transmitting station i know the message. Using Paul's ufb vlfrx tools i can reconstruct the carrier and determine it's SNR from the daily files and also for the stacked file.
I saw which day improved the SNR of the stack and which day reduced the SNR, but i must not tell  these details to Jay and Garry because if they weight their stack based on this information, it would not be a valid decode any more.

Actually a valid decode can be produced not only by the RX station, it can be produced by everyone. Paul or Markus or Stefan can produce a valid decode of Jay's files but we must not use informations that Jay can't know before knowing the message. All we can use to improve the stacking gain is the noise amplitude and eventual known time offsets caused by the TX or RX stn.

Here are the wav files from Jay and Garry: http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/VLF/wav_files_W1VD_K3SIW.zip
For those who want to try to reproduce the results: Note there is an additional time offset of 0.3 sec from the TX side (SpecLab) and 4 samples from the RX side (SpecLab).
For W1VD files the time offset should be 198.3 seconds. For K3SIW it should be 216 seconds.

Here are the details from Jay's files, to get an overview:
day rms amplitude weight,+-dB SNR / dB SNR of stack
26 5.83e-9 0 3.65 3.65
27 6.99e-9 -3.15 0.44 3.95
1 6.81e-9 -2.7 1.82 3.98
2 6.13e-9 -0.87 2.13 6.11
3 8.20e-9 -5.93 3.54 7.70
4 8.69e-9 -6.93 -3.38 7.07
5 1.26e-8 -13.43 -1.39 7.46
6 1.00e-8 -9.37 -0.09 8.14
7 7.48e-9 -4.33 4.53 9.4
8 1.50e-8 -16.44 4.67 9.18
10 6.90e-9 -2.93 -11.57 8.66
11 1.88e-8 -20.29 -4.67 8.82
12 9.41e-9 -8.32 -6.8 8.49
13 1.04e-8 -10.09 -3.59 7.99
W1VD, FN31LS, QRB: 6096 km

SNR reported by vlfrx tools

stack 26/27/01/02/03/05/06/07: +10.58 dB |@ -T197
Sometimes, a time offset of 197 seconds produced a better result.

And here are the results from the files of K3SIW:
day rms amplitude weight,+-dB SNR / dB SNR of stack
26 1.74e-8 0 -9.78 -9.78
27 1.24e-8 5.89 -7.77 -9.23
1 1.11e-8 7.81 -3.32 -14.17
2 1.27e-8 5.47 4.03 0.19
3 8.82e-9 11.84 -1.35 0.70
4 1.46e-8 3.05 5.58 4.63
5 2.35e-8 -5.22 6.91 6.00
6 2.44e-8 -5.87 -11.85 5.44
7 1.53e-8 2.23 -3.46 5.08
8 1.73e-8 0.1 5.77 6.35
10 1.59e-8 1.57 5.54 7.88
11 3.05e-8 -9.75 -9.92 7.73
12 1.57e-8 1.79 -5.55 7.58
13 1.77e-8 -0.3 -4.17 6.81
K3SIW, EN52TA, QRB: 7048 km

SNR reported by vlfrx tools

stack 02/04/05/08/10: +11.31 dB in 38.3 uHz (just 5 days!)

Now, i got no decode of the message even when running the decoder at a list length of 5E6. The best Eb/N0 shown was -3.2 dB for the stack of K3SIW.

BUT! I think there is some hope that we still might decode the message, even based on informations available to the RX site, i.e. a valid decode:
Our weighted stacking is based on the square of the rms amplitudes of each day. This is the way of stacking in add.exe by DF6NM and i think it is similar in the Linux stack script by Paul.
These amplitudes are calculated based on the full length of the recording / wav file. It is an average value. There can be times of very high QRN, e.g. a local thunderstorm, at the beginning of the file and then a quiet night for 80% of the transmission. Anyway the reported noise amplitude will be very high and so the file/night is downweighted in the stack. The wav files generated by SpecLab are almost 10 hours long, whereas the transmission takes just 7.25 hours. So first it would make sense to cut the time at the end so it does not contribute to the noise calculation. In vlfrx tools this can be done, for example, vtwavex 05.wav | vtcat -T2018-03-04_22:30 -E26200 | vtcat -p > 05.vt But this will not cause a big difference.
The main improvement will come from a individual pre-processing of each file. The signal must be analysed in the time domain and the amplitude must be normalised before the files become weighted and stacked. This way the high noise from the local thunderstorm would be downweighted within the file. This should improve the SNR significantly.
In the attachment there is an example. Two days of the files of W1VD. Both of them have a good contribution to the stack. In the night 07/08 of March there must have been strong QRN in the first 3 hours but then it was a very quiet night. Due to the heavy noise in the beginning of the file, the whole night was downweighted by -16 dB in the stack, although it is one of the best night in the stack!
The other day was quiet at the beginning, then the QRN became higher in the morning. The last 2.5 hours have a relatively high QRN although the transmission is already completed, so here it would help to cut the time that is not required and calculate the the noise amplitude then!
Now, what we need is a tool that applies a danamic amplitude gain (up or down) within the file. Paul and Markus are the ones that can program something. I have just some basic ideas how to do it. I would take the challenge but i am not sure if my idea would work. I would use vtstat to determine the mean amplitude in 1 minute intervals (like in the attachment). This is already based on some advice by Paul BTW :-) Then i would look at the average noise within the whole transmission time. In SpecLab this is done by sorting the bins by their noise amplitude and adding 3 dB to the value at a level after 75% of the bins. Based on this, a scaling factor can be calculated. Each bin will then be scaled. In a loop, the segments can be selected and scaled and then put together again (using the 'cat' tool)...
Here is room for discussions and ideas.
I bet, with further new techniques we will manage to decode the message from the files by W1VD and K3SIW.

73, Stefan