LF: Re: 136kHz T/A this weekend

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 136kHz T/A this weekend
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:57:20 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mike I had been watching triggered by a comment from Steve Nichols preparing the RSGBNews Prop report.

The Thursday geomag event was much weaker than expected I havent checked but I suspect the IMF was in the wrong direction to reconnect and the KP=4 plasma front just bounced off the magnetosphere. there was a drop in Dst in the early evening (-20nT), but by 00:00 UTC the Dst was up to -5nT again. This seemed to continue through the weekend despite a number of Kp=4 events. However Sunday produced two periods starting with Kp=5 after 00:00 and Kp=4 following at 03:00 this depressed the Dst to -40nT, over the 00:00 to 06:00 period.

Note the Azores path to Paul is far enough south to avoid the worst of the precititation, and auroral effects. The Eu<>US paths skirt the auroral zone, which probably extended further south on the 19th

Correlation does not relate to causation, as the statisticians say :-)) but it is possible the build up of precipitated charge from the ring current as enough to 'push northern TA propagation' over the edge. WSPR may be more sensitive than say visual modes and is generally used with a lot less power margin. I am surprised in a way that a relatively small geomagnetic event had such a big effect, but maybe the path latitude and auroral extent explains that.

That is the best bit of 'hand waving' I can come up with. I have previously tried to use WSPR spots but find far too much variability in trasmissions and receptions (local noise) to make sense of the figures. As there are becomming more regular spotting stations it may become more useful at LF/MF, but it entails analysing a lot of data.

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>