Re: VLF: DL-VK7 attempts on 17.47 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: DL-VK7 attempts on 17.47 kHz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:31:25 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1519036300; bh=ZWcpZmm3rQx2oZxNEpuIun8FdboDZY9XPfwoMryPGto=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=RPieFr6fqfRzga5VMI9NUHKKDl+TOWHYETRAgUGskI9pU+Jharyrl0YuOUQ5fMM8+ 59DSmDW3xp/HEJ4ji7b+kuP8LUqfz3h+vtpC2dRQ1Zuk0Ep/I/Qh/MHUfWplSJft9K u/5rSsqfTq77g1sh5lTyyoKSUZQbQOcnu4njgrX2FH+ys6viXJLa9wmbNlb6wS0Xxx nukX5QrCAMz2I6yNyyp0HKWyZ5ORKX5gtimDaNvyuK8ggiuC/MyyYH161hr5TPiysL pD/ItiGhdqExIUhUQ0JnEhbfxo1PPWJgND0nLWTns94dsscwkrEb/YkPV35athvkos WAliqR6Ca+xUg==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Edgar,

It looks like my emails are not coming through to your email providers so i'm writing you here.

Thanks for the start of the project and the first captures.

DL0AO is running a spectrogram showing NWC on 16.8 kHz. I also started a spectrogram on NWC a few minutes ago, visible on the bottom of http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber2.html
I'm not sure if it makes sense to watch NWC from here and expect the same propagation on 17.47 kHz.
JXN seems to be quite weak everywhere, relative to HWU for example.
If there is VTX on 18.2 kHz with a strong signal then it may be hard to see HWU at all?
Your spectrogram shows the right frequency range and the scroll rate is fine as well. Based on the observations at DL0AO, NWC has its maximum SNR during the evening, as expected. But the time is much longer than we expect, based on the experiments on LF. It rather seems to be open for 7 hours! So it may be useful to reduce the scroll rate to 40 seconds per pixel even.
I said that a FFT bin width of 1 Hz is fine. But it is better to go to a value as small as possible, e.g. FFT input size 32768, decimator 6, SR=48000, center frequency 17470. This gives 244 mHz FFT bin width. Worth a try...

Good luck and i hope to see a trace of JXN and HWU with the longer time covered and lower FFT bin width...

Update: On my spectrogram, NWC has its maximum between 18:00...22:30 UTC.

73, Stefan