VLF: DL-VK7 attempts on 17.47 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: VLF: DL-VK7 attempts on 17.47 kHz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:20:08 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1518873702; bh=yNuhmGU8MRtsJi6tab/l83WG/5P7iEg2ZyqxK8vBuP8=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=d9WtUhR3QN+knC4o/lTDPGCvQigPp9zzgcuYlTLs8QcJb7w7EwsEj4POGJSPaAH6R u4ErqguL3fYJyW8MBWW7u7hKnMFH8ytTECUmJYbh3+ijv07oVFiaWURr6BSWP5shkh wp3gchl1vTLZWIstC9gHI34aXJnhRiFKLWA/QB7A82fcnZYqEtpXm0sDHps+Sh3QSb kCZIITXBBStIMEh2Z0mUNY1XBWRmo7+oL4/4Udg1FDUH2ELhjqPUWzS781F3vNrOBe qN3CyG7tywe0JSnWokP7e/6AomEQFA7NNiBGtwkF/34ktqpihjUML7SRX3fIGYYbAv +pTdL/0OJm0kg==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Edgar, VLF,

You are right!!
We should try to get some signal on our path on 17.47 kHz this 'season'. I am not even sure if March is the best time for that band. On 137 kHz it was the only time we had a chance and, for reminding the 'old' times, this was our best result over the 16805 km path:

in April 2013. About 10 dB SNR in 11 mHz.

On VLF i think we will need longer time periods to transfer a detectable signal. Apart from the path attenuation the question is, how stable is the phase during that time. Using the common night time on the path ('greyline') may be even worse because it is the time when the terminator passes, and it may mess up the phase. So maybe daytime or nighttime is even better? A few hours before and after the greyline passes, because most the the path is in darkness then and the phase is more stable then?

To check all this before we start to transmit, it would be helpful if not essential to get a better impression about the propagation in that frequency range on that path. This should be possible because JXN (16.4 kHz) and HWU (18.3 kHz) is quite close to my location and just in the frequency range of interest.

What i would suggest is setting up a grabber page, monitoring the range 16...19 kHz at a scroll rate of 20 seconds per pixel, just like in the tests on LF 5 years ago. The FFT bin width may be 1 Hz or so. It does not need to be a RDF spectrogram, although it would be interesting to see the phase. Following the amplitude is the first thing we need to learn. Upload rates of 1/hour would be fine as long as no transmissions take place.

It may take a few weeks until we know the behaviour of the changing propagation and when the SNR is optimal. The we will find the best time to start with the attempts.

In that frequency range you should have less local QRM (mains hum etc) so it should work quite well.

What do you think?

73, Stefan