Re: New station on VLF: DK1IS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: New station on VLF: DK1IS
From: DK1IS <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 22:11:07 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Paul,

thank you for your post! Enclosed please find my comments:

Am 05.02.2018 um 10:35 schrieb Paul Nicholson:
Thank you Tom, that was a most interesting post with much food
for thought.

Nice construction and good to see an alternative to air-cored
curious.  An artifact of the test setup?

No, certainly not. Increasing the AC current from 0 to 600 mA in a preliminary test with only two layers of inductors increased their total  inductance degressively by 3.8 % with positive resp. 3,7 % with negative mutual coupling. Meanwhile Markus (DF6NM) told me he often saw this: driving a ferrite inductor with DC decreases the inductance (as well known) but driving it with AC first increases the inductance until you go well into saturation when it decreases again. He explained it with the different slope of the initial magnetisation curve at low vs. medium drive levels, resulting in a more complanate hysteresis loop and a lower inductance at low drive levels. Additional there is a minor influence by the positive mutual coupling, rising more than proportional with higher drive levels.

Interesting point
about the audio channels being out of phase.

Having made the bad experience with the bridged mode I tested the stereo mode with two identical input signals in phase opposition via a good quality 4 windings audio transformer. No better result, that means at least the problems don´t come from the PAs internal inverter stage. I have to stay with one-channel stereo but that´s ok.

Do you have any feedback from an E-field probe to stabilise
the phase?

With the synthesizer exciter now in use it´s impossible. Later on with a PC and appropriate software it could be done, but see your next item.

Perhaps that's not necessary with the relatively
low Q system.

Losses do have their adventages ...

The antenna wires spaced one 1 metre - I assume 1 metre between
each wire.

Yes, that´s the situation - see picture below.

The 160 ohms antenna resistance, that must be
mostly ground resistance?

Yes, it is. I measured the Marconi without loading coil against ground at 8,27 kHz. C was 660 pF then, including the open antenna disconnection switch.

> It´s always a little bit frustrating that I can´t hear my own
> signal even at the VLF RX site at our club station DL0AO only
> 6 km away in a forest.

Sometimes they become audible when a long transmission is
played back time compressed.   I tried that with your 28th
carrier but even with x20000 compression it was still not
audible.

OK - meanwhile I´m accustomed to it.

The ferrite chokes look a lot like RS components 715-6857,
which happen to be the same ones I use for filtering in
my 48V rx power supply.  10mH, Rdc = 3.394 Ohms.

 RS No.715-6857 is the 500 mA version - I´m using the 600 mA version 715-6850 resp. Murata No. 1410606C.

73,
Tom, DK1IS

                    Marconi´s end on a frosty winter morning: