Re: New station on VLF: DK1IS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: New station on VLF: DK1IS
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 09:35:40 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=abelian.org ; s=default; h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:In-Reply-To: MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID:From:References:To:Subject:Sender:Reply-To:Cc: Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender: Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe: List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive; bh=VFf0LPJBGxq5PZ5NwYbTGcrnl+oH+W8nFQaX2RpH4aM=; b=5Bo0lxKqPO+S0kYPwNHHI3nPAV Od6M9NyaO9fZS3OSaHBkZigC4iS8qtSXekDlvTjKWfMAmxQGkZ1jHaWhBGgJVtyP0bcEZeHFOGWYu 5mxZ3NLpwXI5okqayrojlS3Vw0CUusqIbGAkVLzDQA6ULP9HAR/GDNC63dA9JNRJpYGc=;
Sender: [email protected]

Thank you Tom, that was a most interesting post with much food
for thought.

Nice construction and good to see an alternative to air-cored
curious.  An artifact of the test setup?  Interesting point
about the audio channels being out of phase.

Do you have any feedback from an E-field probe to stabilise
the phase?  Perhaps that's not necessary with the relatively
low Q system.

The antenna wires spaced one 1 metre - I assume 1 metre between
each wire.  The 160 ohms antenna resistance, that must be
mostly ground resistance?

> It´s always a little bit frustrating that I can´t hear my own
> signal even at the VLF RX site at our club station DL0AO only
> 6 km away in a forest.

Sometimes they become audible when a long transmission is
played back time compressed.   I tried that with your 28th
carrier but even with x20000 compression it was still not
audible.

The ferrite chokes look a lot like RS components 715-6857,
which happen to be the same ones I use for filtering in
my 48V rx power supply.  10mH, Rdc = 3.394 Ohms.

--
Paul Nicholson