Re: LF: 136kHz - this is how badmy system is!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136kHz - this is how badmy system is!
From: Martin Evans <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:18:48 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Thanks Mike.

Yes of course  - silly me - I do remember to upload spots on occasion but it had never occurred to me to compare reports. The obvious solutions are often the best (especially if like me you don't understand the complicated ones!)

It's pleasing to see that you think that I'm receiving reasonably well - gives me encouragement to improve it.

I am especially pleased considering that I don't receive well to the North or East  - the not inconsiderable bulk of the Brecon Beacons sits just behind me.

Thanks again.

Martin GW3UCJ.

*************************************
There is no need to wonder how good your (or anyone's) receive syatem
is. By using the databases for Opera and/or WSPR
(http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/spots)
simply compare the reports you are giving a particular station with
the reports from others who are a similar distance away from that
station. You can also average the comparitive reports on Opera and
WSPR to get an idea of how accurate your frequency setting is.

In your case, Martin, you appear to be receiving DCF39 well, but I
expect it would work even better with a tuned antenna. My own system
shows over 60dB between DCF39 and noise in an SSB bandwidth during
the daytime, but of course I have less land between me (in
Hertfordshire) and Germany. I have just looked at the database and
cannot see your reports so I presume you are not uploading any.

Mike, G3XDV
==========

Watching Roger's adventures on 136kHz, I thought I'd go  take a look
and I wondered -

DCF39 is about 50dB above the noise at 16:44UTC.

I'm using a 150ft inverted L, untuned, stuffed directly into an Elad
FDM-S2 SDR.

Decoded G3XIZ, G4FTC, G8HUH & G4GIR between 16:12 and 16:44.

What does this say about my setup?

Is it deaf/average/ok?

How far above the noise is DCF39 in an optimised "good" setup?

Anyone tell me?

Martin GW3UCJ Swansea.