Re: LF: 136kHz - this is how badmy system is!

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 136kHz - this is how badmy system is!
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:31:35 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=pND4v96dZXLi6j8JzOlBIVt6hHBVj9CjCmvEaEspaRE=; b=bSjn7vQm2VxcbhzBwJVhdmLERe39gvnhgQJj2XY5PuSUxXXfmv6lXasnzHon6M4r54 3xqlpsJh89Wm1nID4lipni3lSUBNFvKK0xtffJFcDYZ/Hbci1k/VJghfRMf+DlUYfqZ3 AXmRjrk9H0KmCnADwz3ukErzHY4lQMFJPTTQjlpcokMkXmg9PJAFGUTk84mWQEb5DUf/ 6pAHSwAvD6bdP2KdlSLhJTpjo+BSHkx8RfaXHs0QmJgjqx934sJRDEkolBa2GDFycdpS bdKlNltWCxc8FS7vuooiRnCCFwL42qooSlnMHfh2nVvI6mH9IYQxgfDEhE6yC6j4xLSu C9RA==
Sender: [email protected]
Noise power is proportional to bandwidth
At room temperature, a resistor will develop -174dBm of thermal noise or -174dBm/Hz   In a 2.5kHz SSB bandwidth, the total power is therefore -174 + 10.LOG(2500) = -140dBm

When using an SDR + waterfall with 0.3Hz bins, the thermal noise per bin, and  the minimum possible sensitivity is -174 + 10.LOG(0.3) = = -179dBm.   Using QRSSS with a 0.01Hz bin, that becomes -194dBm

Using the bin size of an FFT as the bandwidth is not strictly the case as FFTs are windowed to increase dynamic range, which has the effect of a signal appearing in adjacent bins at reduced power.  So a good average to assume if you don't know the exact windowing function is that  bandwidth is twice the bin size.

Andy  G4JNT