RE: LF: RE: Todmorden receiver

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: RE: Todmorden receiver
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:31:57 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1511821930; bh=uvvWlyLoofeqlRhhXCaJSPDTPz8TeZ1gH5bw4OlpxOE=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=pVrXWdGkB0w0tHQ2wauxiwVWQQv8EjFTmCWFrKli6iJGJpnlUMm7J7Y8QNEaJMGEL /ionmCbV81DCPq4XOPmf7cQmfHxveJju+8MT9JAetuy9ChLAqNEfqWKtnEkih2L2X/ RJGx2lKwN/qfZzg0NuMhnFU9V8CQ+g3Zj9zR99HO5jNHqRhXfgPJVsjyTBQUjjGyK2 q6EB8oUJClbMxrdotQcjU4EULOSHomR0MVNoJpeuUSrkWpkwfMYnsfnBfOL+Ui0DX8 lCHFycTYH1vrSPu5jAwlJoutyVTAg2eClHoUbyp5xYn/NS90gLKr7PSn7Z+/U6k3h1 nzc+EfaYunuqA==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Paul,

Based on the those additional details, it might be worth a quick check of the
voltage-loop stability margin: if for example your load draws 50 ma, briefly
add a 390 ohm 2W resistor across a 15V output (I = 50 ma + 38 ma = 88 ma, well
below any overcurrent limit on the 100 ma module)  and quickly release it. If
the output voltage doesn’t ring (i.e. if the step-load response is overdamped),
no problem, stability margin with the 47 uF capacitor is fine.  The
instability-relevant ring time constant would likely be 10 us < t < 1 us; any
faster features would be irrelevant to voltage-loop stability. Success with
this test could rule out a narrow stability margin that could otherwise at some
later date (with aging and temperature) add noise.

73,

Jim AA5BW