LF: RE: Todmorden receiver

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Todmorden receiver
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 18:30:30 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1511653330; bh=mTSk8nk+YPmyYCV2v0MqRcEghyWCoGWv/z9RMPNYk/A=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=QVVoAyaLeNQY75AwrFK4dMW1elUeiQh2zXc9RG+ZvcslI/Uu59g7/D5ygPEIdpN9z JH/3gULt/L8hv4tW1Nrtppf23X99LrYer9dANHMd+2RnBPNYibzln8Y+9Iya+P+ATO gNdqSElS6DPUDt38cp/Va39a4+0JL81Sh9dNl66qhdCINMfEusuA2g3TTwUaqXeDH6 l/Gqu6pSPTbRA/PYf5TOutzpIVCnBNaqtTmuMGP33m8lT5eSr3sT0giIEkm+d9qK9b cTnyU5AH6TRTtOl+ScWdfabbjJOTV2rlayooXe7Cjhp6U4gkpR9QmmYmL32NP/68Za DUNO0Yme28x8g==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Paul,

I'm guessing that you've considered all of the below but just in case:

Erratic power supply startup related to the comparatively high source
resistance of long wires and associated connectors, can often be eliminated by:
a) Slower soft-start (larger valued soft-start capacitor)
b) Within limits, a bigger input capacitor at the DC-DC converter input
terminals
c) If the DC-DC converter soft-start is not accessible (at the PWM IC's soft
start pin or equivalent), in some cases introducing an RC time constant at the
PWM regulator integrated circuit's Vref pin will work, but see (d) below
d) Regarding (c) above, if the PWM regulator IC's Vref pin controls
housekeeping supplies inside of the IC, the technique of ramping the PWM
regulator IC's Vref cannot generally be used, but still may merit cautious
investigation: if cautiously evaluated it can solve the problem for a given
revision level of the IC. I mention this approach only because it sometimes is
the only available option, and even if the PWM IC's Vref pin controls
housekeeping supplies inside of the IC, margin testing the approach at various
loads, input voltages, source resistances and in cold/hot air often provides a
reliable fix for a given revision level of the IC.
(e) If you have plenty of source voltage overhead, and the PWM IC's
undervoltage lockout (UVLO) node is accessible, changing a resistor at the UVLO
node (raising V_UVLO) can (by itself or in combination with one or more of the
above) fix the problem.

Considerably reducing DC-DC converter output filter capacitance and/or load
current can almost always solve the problem of erratic power supply startup
related to high source resistance, but is almost never an option given
stability, noise and load current constraints. I mention this just to
illustrate that the high-source-resistance erratic power-supply startup problem
usually involves C_out plus R_load inrush current (occurring after UVLO enables
the power switch) passing through C_in ESR, thereby sagging V_in below V_UVLO,
resulting in (small or large) oscillation wherein V_in_avg < V_UVLO.

73,

Jim AA5BW