Re: LF: PA problem

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PA problem
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:37:32 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
So as a final test today I put a 50 uH choke and then a bypass capacitor on the power supply side of it.

With 100 uF I (oddly) found 2V pk-pk RF on the power supply. So it is worse with the choke plus bypass capacitor than with just the bypass capacitor alone???

With 330 uF it was better. With 1000 uF better still.

Finally with 2200uF there is only about 100 mV pk-pk RF there. That is the best I have seen so far. The amp seems happy. It is producing 25W RF output which is the most I have seen. Efficiency comes out to about 70% with bias well below the point of any idling current. The drain waveform is hard to describe... looks a square wave with rounded edges and some other irregularities... but at least there are no big spikes.

Now there is no change when I insert / remove the DMM from the power supply lead.

By the way I am driving it with a sine wave. Maybe tomorrow I will try a square wave to see what that does.

73,
Paul N1BUG