Re: [rsgb_lf_group] LF: PA problem

To: [email protected], "Discussion of the Lowfer (US, European, & UK) and MedFer bands" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] LF: PA problem
From: misan <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 03:28:44 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello OM N1BUG,

For class E @85%eff you would need some more components.

- An inductor in the DC between 1u capacitor and the  drain / transformer low impedance input, typical >0.5mH at LF! - A 'tuning' capacitor between impedance transformer output and mass (different vallues for both frequencies!)

The drain-source capacity in the fet and the extra cap at the output plus the inductance of the output transformer have to shift the AC voltage and the AC current in phase at the drain to meet class E conditions for improved efficiency. Therfore the tuning is specific for each freqency (just the same as in a traditional HV valve PA anode impedance matching unit to meatch 50Ohms for LPF and antenna)

Probably the prototype accidentally met class E/F coditions at the listed efficiency rating.

To expand lifetime for the fet it could be better to also add a gate series resistor (10 Ohms).

The LPF filters look ok by design, components might be lossy in power for standard HV ceramic cap's. You can check if the cap's temperatures rise. Harmonic power is lost anyway in the LPF, so 80%eff or over is probably not to be expected.

Kind regards,
Best 73's
Michael, PC4M