Re: LF: Antenna change over relay question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna change over relay question
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:46:06 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris,

Use an optocoupler such as CNY 17-4 or 4N28 with 470R in series to the input. The output can be used to switch a IRF540 for example.

73, Stefan

Am 24.07.2017 15:33, schrieb Chris Wilson:
Hello LF'ers,

I have a QRP Labs U3S that is the exciter for a 1kW LF amp. I want the
common antenna to switch to feeding my Kenwood TS-590 for RX. The U3S
has a pin with selectable delay that goes to 5V high on TX. I need the
low current capable output to switch a 24V high power relay, but fail
safe with the antenna connected to the amp on any loss of 24V. I can
derive the 24V from a boost converted from the 12V that supplies the
U3S exciter. What's the best way of making an interface that fails
safe please? The relay is a Russian one detailed here, that draws
about 200mA held on:

http://qro-parts.com/product_info.php?products_id=102

If I use one relay to switch an antenna between a TX and RX (e.g.,
output of 1 kW amplifier to NO connection and TS-590 to NC connection
of the same relay, with COM port to antenna), then de-energized I'd
always be in RX mode and energized I'd be in TX mode and there's no
way the TX would ever be connected to the RX no matter what failed.
But how can I easily ground the antenna input of the TS-590 during TX
(or maybe it's safe not to?) Do I need another relay or can I do it
with another semiconductor? Thanks