Re: LF: Octo-soundcard for the Raspi, question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Octo-soundcard for the Raspi, question
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 17:06:43 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul, Terry,

I have a good progress in my Raspi octo soundcard project. Understood how to use vlfrx tools now, at least basic modules, for recording.
My plan is to use 3 channels for the porable recorder for ULF/VLF. CH1 = E field, CH2 = H field and CH3 is PPS reference. The output file should be at 16 bit/S and 24 kS/s.

The soundcard initialisation is doen with:
sudo vtcard –d hw:1,0 –r96000 –b32 –c8 –B @raw

Then only the first 3 channels are selected, output in 16bit/sample:
vtcat –B @raw:1,2,3 @raw2,i2

The stream is resampled to 24 kS/s:
vtresample –r24000 –B @raw2 @raw3

Finally the stream is written to the USB-stick:
vtwrite –B @raw3 /media/usbstick

It works, i'm getting a recording. Also i successfully managed to generate a wav file of the first two channels and played it into SpecLab. There i saw that the file was actually at 24 kS/s and i heard what i was talking into a speaker that i used as a microphone for the first tests.
However, i saw that the file size of the recording is higher than expected!?
Now i recorded a test file (2 channels) which is 274 seconds long. I would expect the file size is 274 sec * 24000 Samples/sec * 2 (channels) * 16 bit/Sample * 1/8 byte/bit  *1/1024 kB/byte * 1/1024 MB/kB =  25.09 MB. But the actual file size is 102 MB. So that's a factor 4. Why is the file 4 times larger than expected? When converting the file into a wav file using vtread -T2017-06-23_13:56:09 /media/usbstick | vtraw -ow > ch1ch2.wav then this wav file has 26 MB, which is about the expected size. Played in SpecLab i can see the sample rate is as expected, and it has 2 channels. The wav header is fine.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong in vtcat?

73, Stefan

PS: See my homemade modified harware for 3 channels. I got rid of these audio connectors!