Re: Re: R: Re: LF: Re: I: Fw: For today the FETs survived...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re: R: Re: LF: Re: I: Fw: For today the FETs survived...
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 17:42:24 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=82AzHhmxxABQJ9AUKLjzEbz1fXIBGzV3xGypvXQXzIE=; b=lr+CVDwUjH13bpPgKlLhgQcEdeBzFGZoaqLXMQOS8OQz/fyuXz+2k1SO3nvhJVB+We 9xFCOUBLHqdpfOBP4m1GtR4wu8zpx1wEFP9lKL66s8gGe4NboXf2m2nbMVlgYU0aB3/U 9YLBfbHu2VYtC5mvevP9h+Lli9XsmsJ7M6WGCOM5psV5KXtReKVsIravEtxZqQNERp/e JwGtsqmr7WmBsN1gJ3JP8D5n0HVUIaguVoagWhmnetIwdRKEg6uQJIwTbu3GAr+UqeYN Q/G68QDKSK5Ew7IU8nsw34YtS6bzZ0ZDvKwkOmPNr+ZOSYJojqVc9qO7tVgx9XZuEfKE 6Pxw==
Sender: [email protected]
Yes.
You need to adjust the link so current is driven back into the supply when RF amps exceed the maximum that you have designed for.   Up to that point there should be no guard current as the induced voltage in the link, when rectified , is less than the supply.

If the link coupling were to be perfect, ie it behaved as a transformer, then at full power into your designed load the voltage across the tank coil would be Q * Vdc * 4/pi  * SQRT(2)    (since you calculated Rload this way).    The SQRT terms comes from the DC being the peak

So the turns ratio (for perfect coupling) if made equal equal to 1 : Q * 4 / pi * SQRT(2) ,will start to generate load current just as maximum output is reached.

But things aren't perfect; the mutual coupling is never 1 in an air wound coil (mine is about 0.6), the rectification doesn't   give exactly peak volts, so you have to experiment, changing the link turns until you get the limiting you want.   Fortunately it scales with DC volts, so guard circuit testing can be done at low supply / power out.

'jnt