R: Re: LF: Happy Easter MF LF VLF

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: R: Re: LF: Happy Easter MF LF VLF
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:28:56 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris :-)

I guess that finally found what was wrong with my PA!
The last available FET survived to the test yesterday and the only
thing warming is the dummy load :-)
This morning will stop sending wspr on MF and switch the antenna to LF
performing longer transmissions like a wspr15 and looking if everything
is stable.
Although the Decca style is appealing, this design lasted for several
years.. till a small ceramic variabile cap in the directional coupler
of the LF console decided to arch :-( and started the avalanche: one
dead FET (of course), roasted DC choke (the winding was melt and the
stacked toroids changed the colour fron yellow to white !) and ... last
but not least a d...ned RCA connector on the output transformer. This
one was the reason of quick launch of the brave replaced FET: it was
completely charcoaled but in an hidden position so never detected this
till yesterday when the last brave FET lasted enough to make it to
smoke..
Now the PA is delivering 53 dBm (240W) and the heatsink is barely warm.
So now let start to radiate 200mW on LF ;-)

Cross the fingers...
73 Marco IK1HSS