RE: ULF: EbNaut over 3 wavelengths on ULF

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: ULF: EbNaut over 3 wavelengths on ULF
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 01:35:37 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1486276542; bh=s9LLHZ3Mv9UQT4mtqBo9vHwHFKozVfKylgeA09wdYY4=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=WxWjpmnAUtB3XdlbYwICNVOjOOcOlSRJw9NS9xlDrY/Iw33tYHY70ALHQdpRUxrC5 h42w8JK9BC3bugQPxNLWquGwmuxpWvlAORC2Lh+qFEIVTUVghKh1zMsz70EaRGGeZr Q3w8qLNS7f/mfAypPCdZAv3bo7jGiW1PUBEGWdIVrfkWZE0igK8Gbd5rI4PaGVB52R DKDP8lADYX7voGzPIgWLdZMLbu1V3K9kSJWqjMnqjgh46Lzjl8F8bSqa3UMQABt9HT OK8mVsBV+ej2tn2z+F1/RtHTbcPjmOxauvwv6qqM/O1y0d9aTK3QrB5MslwWPK9Vwr ombWLQh6qZ/+w==
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan and Paul,

I think that a sferic spectrum of the sort that Paul made (including the
well-considered details) is generally more accurate than an FDTD solution* for
use in signal-strength prediction, but I think that aspects of the FDTD
solution (and perhaps two other characteristics) could be merged with the
sferic-spectrum to narrow the link-budget error margin for the 2kHz-4kHz
100km-1000km operating space.

1) Using the roughly-path-specific 50-sferic spectrum to extrapolate from a
successful test frequency to an estimate or prediction of signal strength at a
previously unsuccessful test frequency is a very good approach
2) Keeping in mind that the sharp peaks and nulls that FDTD shows are realistic
for narrowband sources, but are probably not at the correct frequencies and of
the correct peak/null amplitudes for the ionospheric and ground conditions for
the day/time of the test, may help with interpretation of test results. Sferics
would tend to fill in (and also shift) the sharp peaks and nulls to some extent
(representative number for this smoothing next week), so using the sferic
spectrum as the first order assumption and keeping in mind that sharp
peaks/nulls somewhat similar to those in a path-specific FDTD plot may also be
involved, might assist interpretation of test results, and planning.
3) An adjustment (perhaps) of 3db - 5dB for the general non-flatness of the
stroke (i.e. pre-sferic) spectrum between 1kHz and 5kHz might help [see
attached, Figure 2 (H)]
4) A simple first-order adjustment for envelope shape and peak frequency, as a
function of individual or average stroke amplitude [see for instance (g) and
(h) in Figure 2 of
http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/63D/jresv63Dn2p199_A1b.pdf] could help.

I'll try a rough version of the above for the Cumiana or Todmorden path.

*FDTD models should eventually improve given guidance from experimental data,
and FDTD analysis could be improved with better real-time parameter estimates;
but for the time being the finer texture of FDTD's (all-mode) spectral plots
can be applied loosely to sferic or LWPC path characterizations as an error
window.

Meanwhile (at 0600) I see something interesting on Romero's grabber
http://www.webalice.it/rromero/live_cumiana/last-LFtest_2970.jpg

73,

Jim AA5BW