Re: LF: Re: SWR Bridges

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: SWR Bridges
From: "Michael Sapp" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 18:13:36 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Steve & All: One weekend last winter I decided to play around with an Elecraft CP-1 dual directional coupler kit which has 25 and 250 watt power ratings depending on how you build it for 1-30MHz (20 and 30 dB coupling options.) I decided to try to modify the high power version designed for 1 to 30 MHz that I previously built which has a 30dB coupling ratio. It uses a pair of FT50-61 cores with 31 turns as the coupling links. I simply changed the FT50-61 cores at 31turns each to FT50-75 cores with 31 turns each. The 30 dB coupling factor remained essentially unchanged from 50 kHz to 500kHz and the return loss into a matched load 50 ohm was > 30 dB. This coupler kit has switchable 2W 5% 50 ohm load resistors as well as RF coupler outputs. I use the RF coupler port outputs and the best (surplus ebay) precision loads I had available to test it out. I have not ran any LF/MF tx power through the modified CP-1 coupler but I use it regularly to check the match on my MF/LF EWE antennas, rx loop antenna projects, etc. The pdf manual for the CP-1 is on the Elecraft web page to review the schematic.

What I learned from this exercise was that the coupling factor remained the same for a given number of turns on the coupling toroids in the CP-1 coupler. Apparently one can change the core material to shift the frequency range according to one's needs. One of these days I should run some tests with 77 and 43 cores and compare the results. Anyway, the test results with the FT50-75 cores in the CP-1 coupler are in the dropbox link below...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khtl9m4eoyc0cr9/ELCRCP1.jpg?dl=0

When I get around to building an LF/MF transmitter I will likely use the modified CP-1 and keep an eye on the core temperature with a contactless IR thermometer to determine the usable power limit....

73, Mike wa3tts

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <[email protected]>