Re: VLF: Kites

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Kites
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:46:23 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I used a cheap kite for LF tests as GW3XDV/P several years ago. The
first time was a success - 136kHz CW contact with SM. The next time -
an attempt to make the first (and only) GW-GI QSO on 73kHz - was a
failure because the wind was too low, even beside the sea and when I
relocated to a mountain top..

To reduce the weight, I used thin wire twisted round the strong kite
string. A problem was cause by high voltages close to the ground when
the kite dipped, so I would recommend using a small mast (8m of
fibreglass?) at the bottom end of the antenna wire.

Good luck.

Mike, G3XDV