Re: LF: WSPR sidebands

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR sidebands
From: Tobias DG3LV <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 23:37:58 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Markus, MF !

There are some more sources of signal-purity-problems :

Some high-Power PAs just use rectified mains supply (w/ or w/o transformer). They do not use any linear regulation to stabilize the very high output voltage. There only is a "suitable" capacitor at the output of the power supply. I think this is one source of the 100 Hz AM-modulation.

As you said, the original WSPR-software by K1JT is using phase-continuous FSK modulation. But there is some substitute software around that just adds one (WSPR-)tone to the next tone without any phase relationship (I have had a look into the sourcecode). This will cause an equivalent to key-clicks known from on/off keying modes. They are down some 10s dBs but well visible on the waterfall.

The level of spurs at a DDS is mainly related to the number of bits of their digital-to-analog output converter. Typical numbers are 10 to 14 Bits. A higher (input-)oszillator frequency of a DDS can enhance these values to some extent if oversampling is possible and if it is used.

All these problems of purity become more visible with high ERP stations. Those who can afford running such power levels should aim at optimizing their transmitted signals in terms of purity, too.

Frohe Ostern & 73 de dg3lv Tobias