Re: VLF: ebsynth

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: ebsynth
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 22:01:24 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Markus wrote:

> I'm not knowledgeable about Linux but at least have managed
> to run a soundcard on a RasPi.

Unfortunately ebsynth struggles to work properly on the RPi,
it just about functions on the quad core model 2.
Seems the USB bandwidth just isn't up to doing full duplex
stereo.

I've never managed to get any useful radio-related work
out of a RPi, but I keep trying!

Unless you actually need low power or battery operation, it's
better to spend the same money on a door-stop trade-in PC
from your local computer shop and install Ubuntu. A 20 quid
PC will happily run 3 PCI soundcards at 192k plus a timing
system and a month of raw signal store, and still have 50% CPU
idle.  The older PCs are better in two respects - they tend
to have serial ports and usually several PCI slots.

Yes I could probably use a PPS and identifying the second
is no problem: ntpd keeps the PC RTC within a couple of
milliseconds.  With the multiplier, I can't use external
feedback anyway unless I divided it back down again, so
the 2nd channel is spare.   But, for most things, an
absolute phase reference isn't necessary.

> Should we start looking for your signal on 477.700 kHz?

Tempting, would be nice to send one EbNaut message :)

--
Paul Nicholson