LF: using a dvb-t dongle for receiving VLF/LF/MF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: using a dvb-t dongle for receiving VLF/LF/MF
From: Jacek Lipkowski <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 23:34:15 +0100 (CET)
Sender: [email protected]
Hello

I've made a small patch to use Paul's excellent vlfrx-tools with direct sampling mode on RLT2832 DVB-T dongles. This is a nice cheap option for a remote VLF/LF/MF receiver, just keep in mind that this has only 8 bits of resolution, so don't expect a lot of dynamic range, watch the input amplitude (with vtscope for example) and use some frontend filtering.

To use apply the patch to vtrtlsdr.c, and modify the dongle to connect the input directly to the RL2832 inputs. For the mod google for "direct sampling mod": i've disconnected all input from the tuner chip, and a used a modem audio transformer to connect to the balanced I input, but you can just couple to I+ via a capacitor, and short I- via a capacitor to ground. You can also use the Q inputs (use -D 2).

Example:

#use 1MHz sample rate (giving 500kHz of rx bandwidth), start at  0Hz

vtrtlsdr -v -v -r 1000000 -F 0 -D 1 @sdr

#send it to spectrum lab (this is only for quick testing, Paul's tools #might be better suited for some tasks.

vtsl -n 7777 -s -k -vv @sdr

In Spectrum Lab select "audio file & stream analysis" -> "analyze and play stream/url", use url tcp://1.2.3.4:7777/ and select "Uncompressed with stream info headers". (where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the machine running vtsl).

The patch also extends the valid sample rates, so that you can use sample rates >225kHz (226-300k and 901k-2.56M work).

This patch was also sent to Paul, but i think he's battling with some equipment failures and with the weather right now, so i thought i would also post it here. Hope it will be useful to someone.

VY 73

Jacek / SQ5BPF