Re: LF: OL9TIT on WSPR??

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: OL9TIT on WSPR??
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:18:07 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=pcQ6ylDxjI4PtMuax6G/disgEsOtv2opauUQbuFDLvQ=; b=0LfH1kWes3w7wAKBpJIZ/UqDvRb875f2PNUGtcxmNyTKoIxffjDJRUYwS6ZJZzFyo/ Id7zZHVgUuQ61aTHRglEEnEuGvl++84hORj2l8VmrqNqftRUB/qG+BusugDWCcEIPzEy LvJGGx0jyPDu5ZrOm/+Itgvn1kWz5P1DBcgxUhve9TSMA9So+usIeWis8puPgllmLPzN 6Z9c6LAPflaEg60lH3c8P/rVdbbLluNXR9YyjSmOl4jK558qNFlD3nvZAi0tFJVkvRwl GrVuA/Arvn8uP7HZ1EUpUMQMASJKJfbCJXZ03Nxlr5wRAoEn1j0L8S17mL4hCtb+27Z2 2VXw==
Sender: [email protected]
This is a well known phenomena - surely you've seen it discussed on the LF groups over the years.

All efficient communications schemes first of all remove all redundancy from a message, before adding in tehe controlled redundancy for the forward error correction (FEC).   One inevitability of this is that when the very occasional burst of random noise or interference passes all the requirements of the FEC in the decoder, the resulting completely random message chucked out looks perfectly valid.

WSPR compresses callsigns and locators is such as way that any random version of that compressed bit pattern regerates to something that looks valid.   So any randomly generated message will be a callsign and a locator.

See http://www.g4jnt.com/Coding/WSPR_Coding_Process.pdf for a description of how WSPR encodes callsigns and locators.

Any strong FEC will most of the time only chuck out correct messages, or nothing.  But just once in a while - bearing in mind that each reception session with just pure noise / interference present is actually thorwing thousands of possible solutions at the decoder.  So by the simple laws of probability, you know for certain that occasionally somethign will get past.

Of course, what everyone then ignores is that there is a third level of error correction applied - the intel of teh operator.   You look at the result, and see that 0L9 is not in locator square AA, so you know its false.   I suppose it is possible that the software could incorporate a lookup table of valid call vs. Loc. but its easier to just let teh operator filter out those false messages.

So, the fact the "... software is free .." is nothing to do with the false decodes.  Its a mathematical inevitability of efficicient coding and heavy FEC.

BTW, trawling through the WSPR database to try to find what you reported, it's [zero]L9 not [oscar]L9
ie 0L9 not OL9    which is an even more unlikely call prefix, not Czech at all

Andy  G4JNT