Re: LF: PA0RDT antenna near a TX? Front end OK?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: PA0RDT antenna near a TX? Front end OK?
From: "Michael Sapp" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:36:04 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Laurence & All:  It would be interesting to take one of those Array Solutions Receiver Front End Protectors

and replace the pair of isolation transformers in it with something that is optimized for 100kHz to 1MHz service. The above-mentioned product is rated for use down to 500 kHz, but I would be concerned about the IMD performance of those transformers in normal service and the nearby AM broadcast band signal levels....

I have been thinking of ordering one of these units for placement after my LF converter, as I run a +23dBm LO and DBM

(Level 23 RAY6 from Mini Circuits).  If a mixer diode fails, my IF receiver would see + 23dBm at 3.000 MHz.  I built a version

of W1VDs 500kHz variable high-Q preselector that covers 3.2 to 3.5 MHz, which offers some protection to my IF receiver, but the

saturated 1:1 transformer seems like a more elegant solution....

Not all receivers have push-pull 2N5109 front ends. The kind of power levels discussed are a potential overload-damage hazard, especially outside the the LF/MF frequency range.  I have an FT-847 with a dead preamp stage from accidently leaving the radio connected to my 2M yagi with my 144.3 CW beacon running 20 feet away. 10mw on the rx input killed it....  The TS-2000 is known to be worse for rx overload damage at VHF/UHF. Some of the HEMT devices used for preamps have -10 dBm danger zones and will likely expire at levels above 0dBM.....so it is worthwhile to determine the safe operating limits of a receiver's front end active device.....

73, Mike wa3tts