Re: LF: Re: Band is open to VK!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Band is open to VK!
From: "Fausto Coletti" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 21:03:22 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Marcus,

I understand that it is hard to believe as the means at his disposal could have received that signal in 1901,
but a year later he repeated the experiment with the same devices, perhaps a little optimized but not very
different, this time with several witnesses.

The sound of a spark gap transmitter received with a mercury Coherer on a earphone is a buzz, as the sound of a diode detector.
However a metal powder Coherer It is not suitable to receive sounds in a headset, he begins to conduct
when crossed by an electromagnetic field and continues to conduct until you give him a hit.
For this reason it was used with a Morse tape machine and in series with the circuit there was an electromagnet
with a little hammer that was used to strike the Coherer each character received.

I am currently collaborating with the Guglielmo Marconi Foundation to repeat some experiments from the first
transmission of 1895 with the replica of original equipment, trying to measure what was actually the energy
radiated by a spark gap transmitter and, what could be the effective sensitivity of the detectors available
at the end of the 19th century.

73, Fausto