Re: LF: F6CNI to night testing a tuned loop TX on MF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: F6CNI to night testing a tuned loop TX on MF
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:12:48 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=mY7uMPt4gBXq9KI834yRUnOiv09ETNbfLTD/+MoEFaQ=; b=kfCfADOEYAGqxjmi9sQ6xfknIkGp14/GMZh8YOeirWaf+vqL4OFBafh30BcNCexe1k EpRUMscm8T91MAeCKGLgh8UzcU51Cr57jGO69e0lVLxNiFeomT+eageYpEBx5d6yLKQM dhOL8Mn5fg3xzfuJqpODU9eUkLvqJR7t6xpdAvZS4IMtjVSPHPw9ZAZQCHPocAKDCJ4q Ii18FgsGY7KqLnAFNkJqpnDmlW3LFkRkZJOPlrOGmmV3AZDKAX99pHbE0JrU6h/6HXnr T5R3wDXfQTqKLm3nCqGycyMGEfCWBrfauCpCp3pZkGZwSvWiQX9fVxP1/DeWRpzPj3rq a+TQ==
Sender: [email protected]
That is interesting, and encouraging.  I inserted your loop parameters into a spreadsheet I wrote many years ago in the early days of LF to calculate the properties of loop antennas.   As the spreadsheet is designed to work with circular l loops I used a diameter of 9.45m to give the same area as your 7m x 10m rectangular loop.

The results come out very close to the values you give from measurement.
and for your loop, the spreadsheet figures can be seen below:
The ERP for 1W of RF shows as -22.5dBW which is so close to your 6mW as to be almost impressive!

The spreadsheet (with different values inserted) can be found at http://www.g4jnt.com/DownLoad/MagLoop.xls

Andy  G4JNT

Frequency0.475 MHz Loop area70.14 m^2
Loop Diameter9.45 m Radiation res9.64E-04 Ohm
Conductor dia10 mm Tot Cond Length29.69m
No. Conds. (Litz)1   Winding Length29.69m
No. of turns1   Inductance41.16 uH
Resistivity1.7E-08 Ohm/m Skin depth9.52E-05 m
rel Permeability1  RF Resistance0.169 Ohm
    Xl123 Ohm
Tx Power1 W Q724
    Bandwidth 656 Hz
    Efficiency0.0057