Re: LF: RE: FZ-02-B mechanical filter input matching

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: FZ-02-B mechanical filter input matching
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 22:18:37 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Thanks Markus and Clemens for the feedback.
I will go on soon...

73, Stefan

Am 20.05.2015 20:58, schrieb Markus Vester:
Hi Stefan,

I'd suggest the following test:

1. with the current circuitry, measure the background noise floor on a quiet day with little QRN (ie. not now ;-)

2. temporarily disable the BF981 stage, by disconnecting the supply, or by pulling down the gate-2 bias. Measure the noise again, which now comes only from the backend.

If the noise level has gone down by more than 27 dB, you can spare the ~ 17 dB gain stage and still be sure that the antenna noise dominates 10x over that of the backend.

If the difference is too small, you can try to reduce the ADC noise figure by using a higher gain setting in the soundcard mixer, and repeat the test.

Best 73,
Markus