LF: RE: FZ-02-B mechanical filter input matching

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: FZ-02-B mechanical filter input matching
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 05:36:35 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-GB, en-US
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stefan,

regarding:

Now my question: Is it better to remove a BF981 amp stage (about 16 dB to 18 dB gain!) in front of the mixer (SBL-3) to get a lower RX noise or do i better reduce the gain on the LT1028 stage on the AF side? The AF pass band is 11...18 kHz (LO= 461 kHz)

On MF one must have a very small RX antenna before the internal RX noise becomes dominant to the external noise.

Using my 475kHz antenna (lazy-L 12m high, 25m long) and a Kenwood TS440 as RX I can attenuate the antenna signal by 40dB or more before the antenna noise drops below the RX noise.

So I think that in regard with SNR it will not really matter wether you remove the preamp of reduce gain in the LF stage.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T