Re: LF: Just like the 10 Bus , nothing for years , then 477 UK>VK

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Just like the 10 Bus , nothing for years , then 477 UK>VK :)
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:00:41 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Ah you are "chalk and cheesing" again. ZL to KL7 is a sea path lower attenuation probably higher power ( I think emergency sets ran 250W to 500W except in lifeboats). The ZL to RU (Vladivostok) (also a north-south path all in darkness at the same time) was one of the first long ones to be cracked on 136kHz but required a lot more power than you are running over a path with light and dark plus summer in VK. For some reason the VE7/KL7 to ZL was never conquored on 136kHz as far as I remember.

I dont see how 8sec difference to GM validates it unless you know the timing accuracy at both stations. Other weak ids have have matched element start times. There are no seconds quoted on that spot, the other three UK spots are 2mins before the GM deep search not 4 mins as you were quoting earlier.

Was anyone else transmitting? if not the shortens the odds to chosing your call. I am surprised the GM needed deep search at 180miles when the Essex station copied 27dB stronger without deep search. Ok there could be some fading in that but no earlier or later straight copy?? The system has fired off too many impossible spots to be taken too seriously on a couple of optimistic ones.....it statistics!

You are doing a statistical evaluation. Most statisticians would want to know the probability of a genuine match together with, and just as important, the probability of a false match. Even then they would require more than "one data point" for claiming a result.....remember the LHC's much quoted 5sigma ??
3sigma says if you repeat the experiment 100 times you will get the same result in 98. At one-sigma you will only get slightly more similar results to completly different ones (its around 60/40) and is not too convincing.

The only reliable way to prove a contact has always been to exchange unknown information. I doubt you will convince many that this is more than (generously) "a possible" (as the Whizzo-prang boys of the RAF used to say, and they were notoriously optimistic :-))  )

Alan