LF: Re: Interesting Data

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Interesting Data
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:01:06 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=btcpcloud; t=1394449291; bh=hOaXNyNZui+wH4uNR9K1dFU/0RDDWJAgW6Y5+miqpMY=; h=Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Mailer; b=JD54q5GGTRSJuVWPelW0LGUX23MJYdXDjSbupMOV2hreKnYMZoV1zBFn/5iAsZYVt0rW/osKGe5OaSPapB8ZFKwUzpLmrKi+T3l1ZOVmq7YI11b5T/MQ4/MaMy92SN/NAZx+2L7Ac3WCBO6+IZCyaR+vQCIZeD5qftBvZl0uHSI=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim we see this sort of effect in the UK no doubt Paul has seen it on his plots. There are a number of observer of SIDs using the Military stations in Eu. Often stations only about 50 miles apart will get radically different "patterns" I have often seen night-time levels less than daytime levels, Dome shapes at noon in daytime and inverted "domes". Most of these have been within range of significant ground wave, which I think seems to give the most radical differences. At longer range say over 1500km the main interaction seems to be between different modes sau two hop and 3 hop in ray tracing parlance. Of course both of these change phase with changes in the ionosphere. At shorter ranges the main constituent is groundwave and this is sensibly constant day-night.

One observer took data at fairly short distance (100-120 miles I think) from two relatively close transmitters (Anthorn and Skelton) and uses the data to calculate the apparent reflection height, then did a least-squares fit on the data, adding ground wave one hop and two hop. He managed some quite sensible results, bearing in mind the simplicity and some of the assumptions (2-hop reflection at same apparent height as 1-hop etc) I think this is writen up in the Radio Astronomy Group web site.

Alan G3NYK