Re: LF: WSPR-15 tonite

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR-15 tonite
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:36:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Joe,

Am 09.01.2014 17:07, schrieb Joe:
Strong wind from the west or southwest squeeze the 3 wires of the Top-C and let them jump or dance :o) wich causes a change in the antenna impedance. Z is jumping around 20 – 80 Ohms.
But it is the magnitude of Z, actually the imaginary part, or the reactance, or the C :-) You could build an automatic variometer which compensates this changing C.
My antenna is also changing its reactive component but it is no problem.
Ever thought about building an automatic variometer?

Another point ist he earth conductivity which change extremely when it geting wet.

I tuned my antenna last night before starting my transmission. I allways do this with an miniVNA, which works perfect.

It was tuned to 137.600kHz, this morning after the rain, it was tuned to 144,900kHz! Due to the small BW it makes no sense to transmit under such conditions.

Yes, but if the resonance changes, it does not mean that the earth conductivity changed extremely.
Let's assume your earth loss is 60 Ohm, then it may change to 50 or 70 Ohm but not to 10 or 200 Ohm...

You can see the changing earth losses by this test:

Dry: P=100W, coil losses = 20 Ohm, antena resonated to 137 kHz. I= 1A  => Earth losses ~ 80 Ohm.
Wet: (retune the antenna to 137 kHz by reducing the inductivity) P=90W, coil losses still 20 Ohm, now 0.9A => Earth losses ~ 90 Ohm.

Oh, this leads me to the question how you're matching your antenna to the transmitter. Is it by a variometer and a ferrite transformer in series to the cold end of the coil, like i do, or is it maybe with a LC network or a tapped coil or so?

I assume that your overall resistance (the R of that Z=R+jX) does vary by less than 20% which would be OK for the PA, as long as the X component is permanently compensated.

73, Stefan/DK7FC