AW: LF: WSPR-15 tonite

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: LF: WSPR-15 tonite
From: "Joe" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 17:07:32 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stefan.

>Hmm, ever thought about another PA type? Are you using a audio PA?

Yes, a Hafler 9505. Regular no problem, but it is  to warm outside. Last night 14°C.

> Stefan, I will try to join in, but the weather forecast looks not good. Again rain and we have already storm with 80km/h gusts.

>Well, the forces to the antenna are probably the same, if you are transmitting or not. And what about the rain? What happens if you transmit during the rain? >Is it the isolator holding the wire which gets a problem when beeing wet or is it the loading coil? Or just the detuning?

It is the detuning. Strong wind from the west or southwest squeeze the 3 wires of the Top-C and let them jump or dance :o) wich causes a change in the antenna impedance. Z is jumping around 20 – 80 Ohms.

Another point ist he earth conductivity which change extremely when it geting wet.

I tuned my antenna last night before starting my transmission. I allways do this with an miniVNA, which works perfect.

It was tuned to 137.600kHz, this morning after the rain, it was tuned to 144,900kHz! Due to the small BW it makes no sense to transmit under such conditions.

73 Joe

This 15 min TX periods are real „Linear Amp Killers“, I do not need any heating at the moment.

Hmm, ever thought about another PA type? Are you using a audio PA?

Stefan, I will try to join in, but the weather forecast looks not good. Again rain and we have already storm with 80km/h gusts.

Well, the forces to the antenna are probably the same, if you are transmitting or not. And what about the rain? What happens if you transmit during the rain? Is it the isolator holding the wire which gets a problem when beeing wet or is it the loading coil? Or just the detuning?

73, Stefan