Re: LF: A short VLF experiment at DK7FC

To: [email protected], Paul <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: A short VLF experiment at DK7FC
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:33:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Peter, VLF,

Did you see a trace on your grabber? Can you show me a link or a screenshot?
The signal is well visible on Paul Nicholson's excellent VLF grabber, http://abelian.org/vlf/fbins.shtml#p=1387116000&b=110&s=sp but far from stable. Is instability is due to my signal of course. Distance to Paul is 880 km, http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html?qth=IO83XQ&from=jn49ik00wd

You are right, there are many things to optimise. One thing is the housing of the PA. Now it is just mounted on a wooden plate. It is a H bridge using 4x IRFP460, switching directly at 230V*1.41, so the output of the PA is on mains potential! There is no galvanic decoupling transformer on the output (which would allow to use a grounded coax then) because such a transformer would have to be a VERY big ferrite core with many many turns (> 100). So the PA output is directly connected to the primary winding of the loading coil, which couples its field into the resonance winding (1200 turns). So the feed line is floating on an unknown voltage which depends on the capacitive coupling to sourrounding things. In the field experiments 2010/2011 this was no problem. But now it is. I guess this is causing EMC problems to the /2 frequency divider, sometimes. Thus, i will put it into a metallic box which is grounded to earth potential.

Another problem is the parallel capacitor which i have to add to come on resonance. It's capacity is not high enough and i have to add about 10m or wire hanging arround. This additional wire is moving in the wind blasts and causes further instability of the signal (kind of AM due to modulated resonance peak, i.e. antenna current). Another way would be to add more turns to the coil but this antenna system is voltage limited and it doesn't matter at all if i have to put 400W or 500W into the system.

BTW this night/day it was 850 mA antenna current and about 400W RF power. I will plan to do more QRO, when the new capacitor is ready to use.

Here is an image of the arrangement, taken 30 minutes ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/VLF/20131215_165406.jpg

As soon as the C of "DK7FC" is finished, i will run some OPDS32 sequences for DF6NM and Paul Nicholson and others :-) BTW i have disconnected my VLF grabber antenna since the RX is overloaded anyway. Now it is easier to identify eventual phase glitches (could be on the RX side as well, though).

73 and thanks for watching.

Stefan/DK7FC