Return to KLUBNL.PL main page

rsgb_lf_group
[Top] [All Lists]

RE: LF: WSPR2 coast-to-coast

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: WSPR2 coast-to-coast
From: Bob Raide <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:58:14 -0500
Authentication-results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 195.171.43.25 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) smtp.mail=[email protected]
Delivered-to: [email protected]
Importance: Normal
In-reply-to: <[email protected]>
References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]>,<[email protected]>
Reply-to: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]
Jay;
I would like to try the DS OP on 500 for those tough ones [Greece, Russia, etc] where the only way to get to them is with what you call QRO with WSPR.  Running more than a few hundred watts [20 w erp] causes trouble even at 35% on.  
I am sure OPDS would reach out and at same time get QRO out of the WSPR window-but only couple stations in Eastern Europe set-up for it and like you say are amongst us "real nuts" on 136 and down! 
Hopefully as time passes more realize OPDS DX potential and "bother" to implement it in RX-Bob 
 
 

From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:41:51 -0500
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR2 coast-to-coast

Bob
 
Your comment made me realize that I was running 50% duty cycle last night so there was the potential for nearly twice that many coast-to-coast receptions ... ha!
 
AFAIK all the stations currently transmitting WSPR on 475 kHz in the US (7 or 8 last night) spend time in receive mode uploading spots to the database. It appears there is no interest in 100% duty cycle transmit ... probably because most of these stations regularly participate in CW QSOs ...  and presumably have invested time and energy in getting their receiving setups to work well. Most stations are spread out far enough so don't think it's an interference issue.
 
Think mostly the die hard, weakest-of-the-weak signal enthusiasts will be interested in OPDS due to the relative complexity of the setup ... making it better suited to 137 kHz and below where the real 'nuts' hang out. This is not to say that it couldn't be useful on 475 kHz probing some distant propagation paths beyond the capability of 'normal' OP and WSPR.
 
Jay     
 
  
 
  
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Raide
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:01 AM
Subject: RE: LF: WSPR2 coast-to-coast

Jay, et all;
I think if the "average Joe" on 500 would go through the trouble of adding "Deep Search" to any of the OPERA modes, lower power beyond that required by WSPR would be possible for similar decoding.  Another plus would be not having to limit numbers of transmissions per hour because of the less likely RX overloading.  But the "average Joe" isn't gonna go through the trouble of adding "DS" to OPERA, I would assume? Bob
 
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 07:24:58 -0500
> Subject: LF: WSPR2 coast-to-coast
>
> G
>
> There were 31 WSPR2 'coast-to-coast' (west coast US and EU simultaneous receptions) on 475 kHz last
> night from WE2XGR/2 alone ... WE2XGR/2 > K7IUV and WE2XGR/2 > G3XKR. Apparently WSPR2 wins the
> 'coast-to-coast' competition on 475 kHz ... especially so when one considers WSPR2 is a two minute
> cycle time and OP's best time is 4 minutes.
>
> And ... this was done with moderate transmit power.
>
> Jay W1VD WD2XNS WE2XGR/2 WG2XRS/2
>
>
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>