LF: RE: 8.9758KHz Earth Mode Test 21st Dec.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: 8.9758KHz Earth Mode Test 21st Dec.
From: "hvanesce" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:54:29 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1387479330; bh=kvQoKt1q1mSMTuMQ++xuTwGhewzJUpPMMVCAINCIpoI=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=Ng+cJNJ03ggFqaPujmeKNPSqHcDtkctKXp98e6mh3LeldUVw/MB7uU0SgHa/x6/hC rqg5ijvKu07h66yZJMAHX0JGWt+7kCPZo2CLdF1yv6RL9drBEXcWfsK9bm+LKhE0Hj EBAxbxED4w1gRxnCBuvjobe+Amou8Iqw1nlrix3PmORGUlCUzaZS7UDNo/feg83xqX Y+AkTO+VhETQh6f9DeFTejJzWGJ3T57qBkswOhUr+9Bw3gNT7EPnrcPXVZEdOVCdHm WWVAmTG5Ocx8wqmXYJUc0U13yI80aGnd4Eh4cRUcBc8q73L6C7l9SvBB8eVa1NGPi7 gVJ28gYNDsVag==
Sender: [email protected]

I am out of range (Arizona this weekend) for your experiment, but interested. I have carefully measured infrastructure effects (including buried utilities and other utilities), and have coincidentally seen roughly 6km range (at VLF frequencies) in a scenario that is somewhat similar. For what it’s worth I found steep field gradients near 3km-6km (infrastructure and topology dependent) in four directions, and did not have time or RX dynamic range to determine whether these gradients were associated with multi-modal interference nulls, utility decouplers, or simply extinction of the reactive field. I hope to extend my RX dynamic range by ~ 20dB in the near future, and will repeat these measurements (at ranges > 6km) at that time.

Does your infrastructure broaden your signal and/or add spurs? I suppose you can’t know this until your test is underway, but it might be helpful for others to eventually know this, on the chance that some infrastructure resonating off center frequency has a large aperture and could therefore be detected more easily than the fundamental at ranges > 6km*.

At 50V, 1.5A  (~ 33 ohms) do you think that you are losing any current  to undesired paths?

Best of luck on your tests.

73, Jim AA5BW

*  (given your antenna contact separation, it seemed that infrastructure aperture might be significant compared to coupling between your earth loop and the infrastructure, for RX separations > 6km, at which distance the reactive field may be giving way to aperture-dependent quasi-static and radiative field components)