Re: LF: TA CW?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: TA CW?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 01:16:12 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=btcpcloud; t=1380068186; bh=QHv8sCQhsrksjlTvTNpAlhHMtQcioypnqMOhuZNanBg=; h=Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Mailer; b=LhFqA7fkeYMk8ntvb0XeS3dVOC88EJuily8aYLD0UslYVLNgDwobiQt+67b/HIKfB3dASK7OhnkHd/b43XNrNOx1JpJMkd2Q//Xo7KKSGknJ9vuKYEnJ47I8Wvz3guVmCdPC4EivABrxgUzaG4RiU63n1i1WWfVf5w43Zop2qVQ=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Bob, the propagation conditions are very similar to the other LF bands ....there is skywave but the ground wave is stronger further. The usual problem is antenna efficiency .....in rounded figures 73 is 4 times more difficult than 136, which is 10 times more difficult than 470/500.

Beware of using HF or commercial "folklaw" on ground systems You MUST measure as you go otherwise you will waste a lot of time and dollars to no great effect. I measured Ground Loss in experiments with Finbar early in the 137 era (using a simple transformer-ratio-arm-bridge), and rolling out "radials" can be a big mistake.....it all depends on your environment. the first one or maybe two make a difference then it gets you wont notice the difference To be effective radials on amateur sizes antennas need to be at least 1/8 wavelength which is over half a mile! Unlike 160m skin depth in the ground can be 30 feet or more at these frequencies. A lookat commercial VLF antennas is more helpful. They use massive capacity top loading, but they can usually choose their site for its suitability.

The only station to make the crossing on 73 when we still had it on this side was Laurie G3AQC (now SK) He was using 1200W from an ex Decca Nav TX and a reasonably efficient antenna...... but not that good.His ERP was probably close to 1watt.

Best of Luck .....   its a pity we will not get an allocation there again.
Alan
G3NYK (an original UK 73kHz "licence" holder)