Re: LF: Some pictures of the OH1AH lighthouse expedition

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Some pictures of the OH1AH lighthouse expedition
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:58:53 +0300
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the nice comments.

The setup could certainly be improved by using more than the 4 radials
we had. At resonance the feedpoint was 35 ohm. The antenna wire itself
was about maximum achievable in that location, ie. 10m vertical wire
with a sloping 25m topload up to 20m AGL. More TX power is of course
another way to improve EIRP.

But, but - the TX antenna system was already too good for the 60 W TX
power that could be squeezed out from the JUMA. (Read: 1W EIRP was
certainly acheived even with a reasonable marigin for environmental
losses).

Something we have been working desperately on over the past 5 or 6
years is improving the receive side setup. We have a lot of man-made
noise both on HF and MF. An untuned inverted-L at the southern
sea-shore more than 100m away from the lighthouse has been the best
solution so far, but we still struggle with QSO's on both HF and MF
where the recieved reports are great while on our side we can hardly
make out what the other party is trying to say.

Winter operation from the island would be possible, but probably not
from the lighthouse or even using the lighthouse as an antenna support.

BR

Paul-Henrik, OH1LSQ

Quoting Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>:

Hi Paul-Henrik,

Thanks for the report/photos on OH1AH's setup and location and for
the CW activity :-)
I hope you can further improve the station. Could you try such an
activity in winter, maybe between xmas and the new year? :-)
BTW i like the Finnish language, although i do not understand a
single word :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC