RE: LF: Soft keying...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Soft keying...
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:55:00 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Christian,

>But looking to me like an overloaded rx?

No.
If a direct sampling rx like - in this case - Perseus is overloading
you get a completely differently looking spectrum/waterfall screen,an ADC
clipping warning
message and you hear lots of severely distorted and mixed up signals.

>But I do a lot of CW on 40 m with an old Siemens E311b as rx.

I lovely receiver,I like her SSB sound (my brother has one).
I hope the extremely complictated frequency locking system never fails.
(Almost) no one will be able to fix it.

>Never observed problems with other strong hard keying stations
>near my QRG.

I believe Jay has made right point:
How hard is the hard keying of the signal.

>Thus maybe a conventional rx with preselection is the better
>choice for working in CW?

Preselection is beneficial for any receiver (except wideband monitoring).
Well designed digital "IF" filters are superior to even the best "conventional"
filters
ever made.
But for fast CW in my opinion a good agc is the most important factor provided
the rest of
the rx
is fairly decent no matter if it is digital or conventional.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ