Re: LF: Re: MiniWhip antenna, fiber optic

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: MiniWhip antenna, fiber optic
From: Roelof Bakker <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:34:37 +0200
References: <CAKvcm2dpuftdtK6OdQv8fOfiw+4yQrPBQBHJ-FN2gDbT4P_oMQ@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <op.wzq2tgvnyzqh0k@pc-roelof> <005b01ce798a$b0476600$6d01a8c0@DELL4> <op.wzrfpjyyyzqh0k@pc-roelof> <[email protected]> <7D6B8CBB38964C9C82487F5D0F3648FC@FMVXD1232> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <001601ce7c95$f235b360$6401a8c0@JAYDELL> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <op.wz4k19tayzqh0k@pc-roelof> <[email protected]> <op.wz5pxy1kyzqh0k@pc-roelof> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

I have continued my optic feedline tests with the SFH757V as transmitter and a SFH250V as receiver. The latter was lashed up reverse biased to V+ and with a 56K resistor in series. From the junction of the resistor and the SFH250V a 10 nF capacitor was connected to the high impedance input of my standard mini-whip buffer amplifier.

The signal loss in a 1m long optic link at 500 kHz was about 10 dB; with a 19m long link this was 20 dB.
The loss was flat between about 300 kHz and 1 MHz.

Photo's of the test setup, optic receiver and optic mini-whip can be found on my web space:

http://www.ndb.demon.nl/Optic%20mini-whip/

The optic mini-whip is a converted battery fed mini-whip.
The circuit uses a SMD J310 with the SFH757V in the drain and a source resistor of 220 ohm.
The gate is biased at half V+ via a resistor divider.
Current draw is 24 mA.
The antenna is a copper clad part of the PCB.
The output is the same as my standard mini-whip antenna.

Now the interesting part: on air tests.
The antenna was mounted 5m high and a 19m long optic cable was used.
It did not receive anything at all and at first I thought something was not working properly. Double checking everything did not reveal a fault, so the inevitable conclusion is that an optic link does not work with the mini-whip design.

This agrees with the remarks sent by Pieter Tjerk de Boer to this list.
The capacitances involved in the circut layout are probably so small that a proper dipole mode does not exist.

As the box of the optic mini-whip has a loose BNC connector, a 5m long cable was connected to it. The shield of this cable was connected to a ground stake at the bottom of the mast. There appeared to be a small degree of coupling between the loose BNC connector and the circuit board ground as I could receive a weak signal from a semi local broadcast station at 828 kHz.

The next step was to connect the ground lug of the BNC connector to the circuit board ground.
The broadcaster produced now a signal level of - 54 dBm.

With my standard mini-whip this is - 35 dBm.
The difference of 19 dB agrees well with the loss of the optical link of 20 dB.

73,
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt