Re: LF: simple 475 kHz BPF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: simple 475 kHz BPF
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:06:51 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dimitris,

Am 15.03.2013 02:20, schrieb Dimitrios Tsifakis:
Hi Stefan,

Opperman is great, they will sell to VK and I can pay via Paypal.
Thanks for making me aware of this shop and the filter.
Nice to hear and know :-)

So, are you using this filter in a DC receiver front end?
Yes i do. My MF grabber (http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_MF_Grabber.html) uses a DC RX with that filter. The input- and output impedances are critical. You have to align the component values to the individual filter values. I'm using this circuit: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/MF/MF%20Filter%20schematic.png Looks like that in a prototype: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/MF/Mechanical_filter_with_source-followers.JPG Later i changed the input to the yellow wire and replaced the 18k resistor on the input by a 500R resistor. This up-transformation gives you roughly 6 dB more output signal level. The input Z is very high and the output Z is measured to be close to 50 Ohm. So this may be even useful as an active antenna (630m band only) frontend in combination with a longer 50 Ohm coax cable and a usual RX.

My RX is using an SBL-3 as the mixer, also with a 50 Ohm input. This all fits well together :-)

I also use that filter in my MF TX converter!

  I want to
make a simple DC receiver because I want to set up a RX station at the
top of the heavy ion accelerator building, at work. That will put the
RX antenna at the top of a 50 metre tower, which may produce
interesting results. I can also use a simple low power DC receiver at
my block. It's amazing how low the QRM is over there, but of course, I
don't have mains power.
Calls for solar modules! I'm amazed how cheap they are these days.

73, Stefan/DK7FC