Re: Fw: LF: 475kHz crystal

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Fw: LF: 475kHz crystal
From: "Klaus Hirschelmann" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 12:00:35 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Pete and group

maybe we can bring http://www.hanssummers.com/ for also offering 630m-Band versions of his QRSS and WSPR kits.

He doesn't seem to have taken MF on board as far as I can see. May one of his rigs can be modified I have not checked my self.
He does mention the use of Si570 programable xtal. I have one on a board with set frequencies from a PIC and selected by binary from a dil switch. They will not operate as low as 500kc/s so they have to be divided with either a CD4040 or CD4060 or any other logic divider. However it gives stable selectable xtal frequencies. In this case it is probably worth going the extra mile and make up a DSS as the master oscillator which will give VFO coverage. I think your pays your money and takes you choice as they say....... hee.

What i intend to do, is building a relatively simple Stand-Alone WSPR beacon for 630m-Band. Using a Si570 with additional divider seemed to be quite an expensive solution. So i did order 7611.2 KHz crystal ( there is a company manucturing crystals according to given frequency ). By using a HCF4060B oscillator/divider this should give a stable signal around WSPR midden frequency 475.7 KHz. WSPR signal generation is planned according to http://www.knology.net/~gmarcus/WSPR/WWVB_WSPR%20VCXO%20Contoller.pdf where ( for use in Europe ) i intend to use DCF77 time signals instead of WWVB. Suitable PIC program version is made by PE1NWL and available via http://www.knology.net/~gmarcus/ , while DCF77 receiver module is obtainable from Conrad Electronics. Because of later signal division by 16, this conception will require a multiplication of crystal FSK deviation by same factor. For WSPR this should result in values around 23.43 Hz which ( i hope ) will not cause any problem. So far my plans in the moment, but of course it would be much easier, in case somebody would offer a kit already doing all i like.
..
Klaus, DJ7OO