Re: LF: Re: MF variometer

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: MF variometer
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:50:09 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

having the LF coil in parallel to the MF one will not increase the losses at MF. But the open switch will have to withstand a high voltage when operating LF, which is not trivial.

I had played with a diplexer here, consisting of a loading coil which resonates the antenna at sqrt(f1*f2) ~ 255 kHz. From this point, there was an inductive low-pass branch for LF and a capacitive high-pass branch for MF. In addition, each branch was equipped with an extra parallel element to notch the other frequency.

This worked ok at low powers. But the disadvantage was that it largely increases the stored energy (loaded Q) at the MF frequency, with associated narrow bandwidth and high voltages as on LF.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)