Re: LF: FT-241A xtals?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: FT-241A xtals?
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:29:21 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Dimitrios, LF

Yes, the same thought has been on my mind for a long time now. The problem is that fundamental X-tals for this frequency band are nearly unobtainable. I have even tried to custom order some new ones for me and a couple of friends but never succeeded - the quantities would need to be much larger for this type of crystals. (They use a different kind of cut as compared to crystals for say 3500kHz which can still be ordered custom fairly easily)

Hopefully people with a stash of suitable vintage X-tals will wake up when the new band opens for real and put some up for sale if they don't want to use them themselves.

I'd say go for it - I have built a couple of "MO-PA" transmitters for 80/160m, they are really pleasant and rewarding projects with a distinct sound of their own. This is especially true if you also key the oscillator.

BR and good luck with the project

Paul-Henrik, OH1LSQ

Quoting Dimitrios Tsifakis <[email protected]>:

Hello lf group,

has anyone made or thought of making a 472 kc transmitter using
vintage FT-241A xtals? I have three or four of these with fundamental
frequencies in the 474 kc to 479 kc range, so I was thinking of making
a traditional 6AG7/807 transmitter, just for the fun of it.

Can't think of a better transmitter for hand keyed CW for that
historic part of the spectrum!

73, Dimitris VK1SV