Re: LF: Re: WD2XNS in YV

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: WD2XNS in YV
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:34:51 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Jay, LF,

Am 10.12.2012 17:21, schrieb [email protected]:
[...] Care to share the details of the setup?

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2

Martin has a 80m long wire in maybe 8m above ground. This wire is resonated to LF and transformed to the RX input impedance by using a ferrite rod. A separate LF earth is used. The RX is that one by JA8SCD, http://icas.to/lineup/idc-136-kit-eng.htm (also used by TF3HZ and DU1GM and others). He also has a tuned loop antenna with about 8 square meters cross section area. I guess its mostly beaming to NE/SW. Furthermore he built a E-H-combiner to optimise the SNR even more. There was a 3 dB improvement in some of the tests. I don't know exactly what he is using these days but i guess the system is not particularly optimised for best US reception. Maybe there could be a few dB more S/N...

What about WE2XEB? Is that not a motivating goal for him to leave traces in SA, using traditional QRSS or DFCW? He would surely make that distance, not to talk about EU receivers...

73, Stefan/DK7FC