Re: LF: WSJT-X v0.5 r2786 - exit after message editing

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSJT-X v0.5 r2786 - exit after message editing
From: Joe Taylor <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:57:29 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Markus,

I have fixed the strange bug you reported. It will be OK in the next release. I should have responded also to the question you posed:

... I'm often unsure about what is a predefined token and what is
freetext. For example, I ran into the 13 character limit after
editing a report into into something like "DK7FC DF6NM R +14".

"DK7FC DF6NM R+14" (with no space between "R" and the following number and optional sign) is a properly structured JT9 message. It will be sent in compressed form: 28 bits for each callsign, 15 bits for the grid-or-report fiels, and one bit to indicate it's a structured message: 28+28+15+1 = 72 bits in all.

"DK7FC DF6NM R +14" is not a properly formatted structured JT9 message, because of the space between "R" and "+". It is therefore truncated to 13 characters and sent as free text.

These kinds of issues are what is meant in the (temporary and brief) WSJT-X User's Guide when it says things like "This document assumes that you already have some familiarity with WSJT."

We'll get a properly complete User's Guide in shape, before too long. In the meantime, if you have questions please ask!

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT