LF: Soundcard Levels

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Soundcard Levels
From: Joe Taylor <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:56:37 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Hi all Lowfers,

1. I'm happy to report that AC power came on at my home late yesterday. Things here are slowly returning to normal -- but they still have a long way to go. I know that many in this region are not so fortunate as we have been.

2. Unless I hear of some serious problem, another release of WSJT-X is unlikely for about 10 days. My available "radio time" this weekend will be devoted to the ARRL International EME contest, and next week I am busy with travel and QRL activities.

3. You may be interested in a full explanation of the audio signal level issues we have been discussing. Some have suggested that with "normal" audio levels from receiving equipment, the indicated WSJT-X input levels are extremely high -- perhaps close to the full-scale "60 dB" mark on the WSJT-X green-bar level meter.

The 16-bit digital samples from a soundcard fall in the range -32768 to +32767. The reference level for the WSJT-X level meter is 1 bit, so "full scale" or 60 dB means an rms level of 10^(0.05*60) = 10^3 = 1000. This may be a "normal" level for the receiver and audio settings you have used for other purposes. That fact might lead you to think that the WSJT-X level meter reads "ridiculously high". In fact, though, setting the WSJT-X leval meter to a much lower level of 20-30 dB (with the recently added slider set to mid-scale) is still a good idea, and here's why.

If the background noise level is set so that the rms output from the A/D converter is 1000, you have only about 30 dB of headroom for strong signals. That's not much dynamic range. Remember, we want to operate with AGC off so that WSJT-X can find and work weak signals even when your neighbor may be active the band.

A much better setup is to have the rms output from the A/D converter more like 10-30 counts, or about 20-30 dB above 1 count. Yes, this means that only a few bits of the A/D converter's range are being used much of the time, when you are receiving weak signals plus background noise. But almost nothing has been lost: A/D quantizing noise is still negligible with respect to external background noise. Moreover, all those higher-order bits are now available for the headroom needed to give you 60-70 dB of dynamic range, rather than just 30 dB.

So: use the digital gain slider, if you must, to make the green bar shorter. But recognize that if you choose to run with your 16-bit A/D samples around 1000 or so, rms, you will have sacrificed 30-40 dB of available dynamic range.

4. Another matter of interest: several *.wav files sent to me, and several screen shots recently posted on the web, indicate that some WSJT-X users are running with rather narrow filters (maybe 500 Hz or so) in the Rx chain, ahead of the soundcard. In general this is not a good idea.

Unless you need to get rid of some extremely strong QRM -- so strong that WSJT-X would not be able to handle it -- wider bandwidths are better, up to about 5 kHz. The normal bandwidth 2.5-3 kHz bandwidth of an SSB transceiver is fine, and almost certainly is preferable to a 500 Hz CW filter.

Why? Because WSJT-X already does all necessary filtering, down to the fraction-of-one-Hz tone spacings used by the various JT9 submodes. A wide bandwidth coming into WSJT-X gives the software a *much* better opportunity to do effective noise blanking. The noise blanker will be highly effective, even if strong signals are present. (Note that I say "will be". I have not yet optimized behavior of the NB in WSJT-X. This is still to be done.)

When running in any of the JT9 submodes, the background noise level shown on the WSJT-X waterfall should be nearly constant over the full displayed frequency range. You should *not* see the peaked effect of your IF filter(s) on the waterfall!

5. A brief comment for those experiencing sporadic decodes. With steady, non-drifting signals that are time-aligned to within +/-2 s, WSJT-X should decode JT9 signals very reliably down to levels within 1 or 2 dB of the thresholds listed in User's Guide table. If you are not experiencing this level of reliability, there is surely a reason -- and we'll help you find what that reason may be.

6. As already stated in the brief User's Guide: "A number of reported parameters have not been properly calibrated." In particular, you should take the displayed values of S/N as relative indicators, with significant uncertainties -- especially if your passband is not very flat, or if there are strong signals present, or ... I will turn some attention to getting these things right, in due course.

7. Finally -- when I can again devote some time to WSJT-X, probably starting in the week of November 12, I will be QRV myself. I'm ready to put up a reasonably good Rx antenna for MF and LF, so I should be able to listen for transatlantic signals. I am QRV on 160 m already, and have made a number of JT9 QSOs there. (I note that a number of others are playing with JT9 modes on 160 m and HF, even up to 50 MHz.)

That's it for now!

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT