Strefans LF: LF/MF modification of TS850 for LF

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Strefans LF: LF/MF modification of TS850 for LF
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:20:35 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
http://kl7uk.com/850.png

Stefan - heres the part of the circuit concerned - its the coupling after the 3rd mixer - so its at TX base band frequency, so I can see perhaps why this C219 could be increased to reduce LF losses, but not a lot me thinks as the reactance to "Earth" is pretty low at 137 - the aim is to improve LF without mucking up the HF side so you can only go so far.

I need to move the equipment into the garage from the shack - the garage houses the W@G Pegglemessers so will do that and take some more meaningful readings, but there is a small increase as yet undefined :-)

- I need to complete the " (not)Transverter" switching mod to allow the RF to come out of the phono socket at the back, but the MF filter, the "fool the logic for all band tx (30kHz to 30MHz) is complete. More as it develops or smokes.  I need around 150 milliVolts to get the RF into the Deccas drivers cct

Still very poor LF and MF - nearly no signals from Siberia/Mongolia on LF - still at least the snow has stayed away. Loran was around 15dB down from "average" last nite. Getting very dark in the mornings and a Huge Male Moose ran into a car on the road into work this morning - both car/driver and Moose didnt make it.

Im keeping this discussion on here as I know a few chaps have the 850's and (maybe) of interest to the wider audience

Laurence KL1X GM4DMA
BP51 IP Wasilla Alaska

 Stefan said -

Hi Laurence,

Have you tried to check the increase of the signal voltage at higher frequencies to see what e.g. doubling of that C causes? Is there no increase at all?
Do you have the schematic of that section?

73, Stefan/DK7FC