Re: LF: Annual course of hga22

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Annual course of hga22
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:44:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: [email protected]
Peter,

well I've also been scratching my head about those abrupt changes at the beginning of May and November.

I wondered whether it might be an artificial effect, perhaps from scheduled retuning of the antenna for summer vs. winter impedances. But while that might induce a minor change in ERP, it would hardly have an effect on the vertical radiation pattern.
Regarding temperature: Frozen ground can have a significant effect on groundwave absorption. But it's hard to imagine that wide-spread frost would occur so suddenly and at a deterministic time, and that it would persist continuously for so many months into springtime.

So this remains an unsolved mystery...

BTW There is also a small effect of frost or snow on phase velocity. I noticed this when analysing emission times of dual-rated American Loran stations. Some of these were slaves which were synchronized over the air by different masters, and thus the emission times were steered via different groundwave paths. For some Northern and Canadian secondaries, there were seasonal variations of several hundred nanoseconds which were clearly correlated with snow coverage:
In contrast, European chains, which are using local clocks to steer both rates, do not show this effect:

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)