Re: LF: Re: 630m Band Plan - NDB carriers

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 630m Band Plan - NDB carriers
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 00:04:58 +0200
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Dear MF users,

please make sure to avoid placing a carrier or beacon very close to the carrier of an NDB. This could severely irritate the direction finder, without the pilot even noticing that interference is present.

For example, consider an amateur sending a long QRSS carrier 0.1 Hz beside the NDB carrier. Even if he was 20 dB (!) weaker than the NDB, the superposition of magnetic fields would periodically swing the DF needle by up to +- 0.1 rad (5.7 degrees) around the correct azimuth position, once every 10 seconds. Even with low power, such a situation cannot be ruled out completely.

During the discussions with the German flight safety authority preceeding the MF allocation, we have briefly considered this "coherent interference" scenario. We assumed that any amateur would carefully monitor the frequency before commencing a transmission, and stay away at least several Hz from any audible NDB carrier.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)