Re: LF: PA0A log

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PA0A log
From: g3zjo <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:58:34 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Joe
On 30/10/2012 23:56, Joe Taylor wrote:
Hi Eddie,

G3ZJO wrote:
I will leave it for another day, and possibly get rid of these false
de-codes, as below, copied from Steinar's post, I am getting them by the
dozen on two XP RX/Computer set ups it could be related to the huge
input signal levels which are even more uncontrollable on v 02r2706.
Transmit audio levels are also far too high.

Surely you must know that audio levels are controlled by external circuitry and by the Windows "Volume controls" for input and output. Nothing regarding the setting of audio levels has been changed in any of these released versions of WSJT-X.

Indeed, Grandma does know how to suck eggs. And that is what I have been saying all along. WSPR and all other Ham Software on all of my Radios and Computers accept the standard level of Audio from the Radio via the Windows slider which needs to be set at a reasonable point to give 0dB for WSPR, acceptable levels for Spectrum Lab etc. WSJT-X needs the slider one step off zero (they are not slider pots at all of course they are digi level steps). Very careful delicate fiddling to get on the first step up from Zero sets the level to 30dB ish the waterfall overloads and -20dB of Gain adjustment still leaves PA0O signal looking overloaded. Getting 12 decodes of 15P6715P67WCV after each transmission seems to me to indicate overload. I can assure you that each with each release the situation has got worse. When I return to use WSPR on the same set ups I have to increase the audio via the Windows slider by 18dB i.e. WSPR will be indicating red and reading -18dB

For Rx, reduce the audio signal (or turn down the Windows input slider) until the WSJT-X audio meter is somewhere around 20-30 dB.

I am using Win XP SP3 exclusively and the DirectX Realtec HD Audio input seems best suited on all computers. My Samsung Netbook is used with another RX to monitor my transmission, I have no antenna in the rig. When I TX the Radio S Meter shows no signal but of course I can hear it. Since ver 2r02706 the waterfall turns bright pink, I can set waterfall Gain down 30dB and visually it is still overloaded, each transmission brings 12 decodes of 15P671567WCV with a few other odd ones mixed including some fine Arabic symbols. Prior to this version using the exact same set up I could have an antenna in the rig, see a signal of S9 20dB and de code my signal and my signal only which enabled me to to do tests with my frequency stability.
For Tx, move the Windows slider down until you have the level your transmitter wants, or insert an external resistive divider.

My standard computer interfaces which work fine with all other Ham software including WSPR and OPERA (got to get that mention in) on all Rigs and Computers, in and out of the shack, shows excessive audio levels with WSJT-X. I regularly drive transverters and run Digi Modes QRP from from my rigs. Setting the required levels is a simple matter using the Wave and Output Windows sliders including for WSPR. Using WSJT-X the Wave slider has to be on that dreaded first step up from Zero and the Output slider is a real pain to get set to a level suitable for my Transverter one step further up the slider and we are into over driving or even wrecking the mixer. Why on earth should I need an external resistive divider in addition to the one already in the transverter only for WSJT-X? On the Samsung Netbook the Wave control is inoperative when running WSJT-X causing even more pain, yet with WSPR it operates as normal. Seems there is an anomaly to be sorted here too.
Maybe 15P6715P67WCV means something I do get a few variations also.

If you get a false decode and can't understand why, please send me the file that you saved. I very rarely see any here, and if set up properly you shouldn't, either.
Well perhaps we expect you to be overloaded with data from others.
I think I do understand the false decodes, I think they are due to the overload circumstances I have explained.

Eddie

    -- Joe, K1JT

-----
No virus found in this message.